The memorial was dedicated in 1919 and commemorates the lives of 24 men, with links to the parish, who died in the Great War. It is currently sited in the grounds of Ashchurch Primary School.
Local historians Wendy & Alan Snarey investigated the lives of the men and wrote a booklet which gives an insight into their backgrounds. Life in the late 19th century, when these men were born, was quite different from the present of course. Wendy & Alan have kindly given permission for their booklet to be reproduced here